Cooking with kids: homemade apple bread
I recently had the opportunity to hang out in my son's Montessori preschool/kindergarten class and make some delicious apple bread with the class. I think it's so important to be able to share time in your child's class, it's where they spend most of their day and you get a chance to see how they interact with their peers and teachers. Being a teacher myself I know all to well how different children act with their parents vs teachers.
I can honestly say the bread was a huge hit. The children loved having the chance to really dig in and make something of their own. We made a large loaf for the class to eat as a snack and mini loaves for all the children to take home. I attached a recipe in hopes that they make more apple bread at home with their parents.
Cooking with kids is a great way to teach them responsibly, how to follow directions, math skills, ownership and its also a great way to get those picky eaters to try new things.
Here is the recipe so you to can make this yummy apple bread with your child! It's a perfect holiday gift for teachers, bus drivers, neighbors and friends.
- 1/2 C. butter (1 stick), melted
- 3/4 C. sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 t. vanilla
- 1 C. apples – peeled & grated
- 2 C. all white whole wheat flour
- 1 t. baking powder
- 1/2 t. baking soda
- 1/2 t. salt
- 1/2 t. cinnamon
- 1/4 t. nutmeg
- 1/8 t. ground cloves
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Grease a 9×5 loaf pan
- In a medium bowl mix flour, baking powder, soda, salt and spices
- In a large bowl beat butter, sugar, eggs (one at a time) vanilla and grated apples
- Pour flour mixture into batter and sir until moistened
- Pour mixture into the loaf pan
- Bake 45-50 minutes then let stand for 10 minutes.