Mother’s Day Award Ribbon Craft
Mother’s Day celebrates motherhood and the contribution of mothers to society. Did you know that the holiday is celebrated worldwide as an international day to honor moms? In addition, Mother’s Day is observed on the second Sunday in May in the United States every year. It is often marked by people sending Mother’s Day gifts and cards to their moms or mother figures in their lives.
In the United States, three women were most responsible for establishing the tradition of Mother’s Day: Ann Reeves Jarvis, Julia Ward Howe and Ann’s daughter, Anna M. Jarvis. These three women—who advocated for adopting better health, welfare, peace and love—contributed to the day we celebrate mothers.
Now that we’ve had a history lesson, let’s get right into making this simple, adorable and fun-to-make craft.
Making Mother’s Day Award Ribbons
● 3 sheets of colored construction paper
● 1 piece of white paper
1. Cut 1 piece of colored construction paper into five long strips.
2. Make a snowflake shape out of the paper strips by overlapping them and gluing them in the center as
3. Hold the top part of the snowflake shape. Loop it down and glue it to the center at the spot of the strips’
4. Cut out a circle from white paper. Write a message such as “No. 1 Mom” on the circle and glue the paper circle at the center of the colored construction paper shape.
5. Cut the remaining two pieces of construction paper into two rectangles with a triangle-shaped notch at each end to resemble the notched edges of a ribbon.
6. Glue the ribbon strips to the back of your award.
Consider these fun ideas for celebrating Mother’s Day:
Take mom to a spa.
Take her out to her favorite
restaurant for a meal.
Prepare breakfast in bed.
Have a picnic in the park.
Enjoy some fun at an indoor pool or activity center.
Create something together.