Affordable Road Trip Snacks
It’s inevitable isn’t it? That even if you feed your children, before heading out on a trip, it won’t be long before someone begins whining, “I’m hungry.”
We know, we’ve been there. With three growing boys, this mom is not about to spend all our spending money on over-priced snacks. Instead, we bring our own.
Qualities of a Good Road Snack
Here’s our list of the best field-trip or road-trip snacks. We’ve kept in mind the following, snacks that are:
- Easy to divide into kid-size portions
- Minimally messy
- Somewhat healthy
- Have minimal waste
Best Travel and Field Trip Snack Ideas
- Soft pretzels
- Goldfish or Bite-size crackers
- Grapes – if you remove them from the stem ahead of time, there will be nothing left behind to clean up.
- Berries – same idea as above.
- Vegetables – some vegetables travel well when cut into bite size sticks
- Refillable water bottles – plenty of attractions and rest stops have water fountains. Even if you fill it first with juice, you can refill it along the way with water and cut down on expenses and your child’s sugar intake.
- Dried fruit
- Home made cookies
- Granola bars (store bought or homemade)
- String cheese
- Drinkable yogurt
- Juice boxes
|Jennifer Auer is a South Jersey mom. Check out her blog, Jersey Family Fun.|