Mother's Day with Your Mother in Law
Fun ways to spend time as a gift
Mothers-in-law get a bad rap, but maintaining a happy daughter-in-law/mother-in-law relationship is important for family harmony. Here are eight ways to let your MIL know you’re thinking of her this Mother’s Day.
- Create a family tree and record the roots you now share. Research your joint genealogy together, then download and customize a diagram from sites like Familytreemaker.com, Familyecho.com and Familytreetemplates.net.
- Get crafty together. Take a multigenerational crafts class with your MIL and child. Learn to bead or fuse glass at Jubili Beads & Yarns in Collingswood, NJ; knit or crochet at Rosie’s Yarn Cellar or Loop in Philly; and turn your own photos into you-paint-it ceramics at Your Creation Station in Middletown, DE.
- Ask her for some parenting advice. After all, she raised a son you like.
- Go shopping and buy her something special. Browse WheatonArts in Millville, NJ for glass pieces (pictured here); the museum shops at the Philadelphia Museum of Art or the Barnes Foundation for fine-art prints; or Ten Thousand Villages in Wilmington, DE for an artisanal piece of Fair Trade jewelry.
- Help her tackle a DIY home project. Plant veggies in her garden, organize her bookshelves or DVD collection, paint an accent wall in her dining room, hang new curtains in her sunroom.
- Bridge your kitchen and hers by taking a cooking class together at places like The Kitchen Workshop in Paoli, PA; Sur La Table in Marlton, NJ; and the Hotel du Pont in Wilmington, DE.
- Do you share a love of Downton? Pass the time before season 5 debuts by visiting the Costumes of Downton Abbey exhibit at Winterthur (through Jan. 4). Or take in an abbey-inspired high tea at one of the area’s many tea houses — for starters, there’s the New Leaf Tea Room & Gift Shoppe in Riverton, NJ; the Mary Cassatt Tea Room at Philly’s Rittenhouse; and the British Bell Tea Room in Newark, DE.
- Frame a portrait of her with your husband and give it to her as a present; it’s a nice way to acknowledge their ongoing bond. If you don’t have a good current photo of just the two of them, get the whole gang into the act and book a family portrait sitting like the one offered by Firefly Photography in Springfield, PA, as one of the prizes for our Mother’s Day Look-Alike contest.