Early Learner Summer Pods Announced
Free activities from Philadelphia cultural organizations for ages 5 and under
The Barnes Foundation is partnering with seven other Philadelphia cultural organizations to offer free summer activities for children ages 5 and under.
The Early Learner Summer Pods program targets children living in underserved communities in South, West and North Central Philadelphia whose education was particularly impacted by the COVID-19 pandemic.
“The summer offers a critical opportunity to narrow the developmental gaps of the past year, and our goal with the Early Learner Summer Pods is to offer a variety of free programming across the city for six weeks to support early learners’ social, emotional, language, and literacy development,” Barbara Wong, Director of Community Engagement at the Barnes Foundation, said in a press release.
The program started July 6 and will run through August 13. Check out the schedule, educational offerings participating organizations below:
STEAM, literacy, and fun family activities
- Aspira Inc., 4322 N 5th St., July 17, 10 a.m.–1 p.m.; July 28, 5–8 p.m.
- Congreso de Latinos Unidos, 216 W Somerset St., July 24, 10 a.m.–1 p.m.; August 4, 5–8 p.m.
- Sister Cities Park, 210 N 18th St., July 13 & August 10, 11:30 a.m.–12:30 p.m.
- Academy of Natural Sciences, 1900 Benjamin Franklin Pkwy, August 7, 10 a.m.–2 p.m.
For more info, email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Outdoor performative storytelling, art making, and kits for kids ages 2-5 and families from from West Philly Playstreets and South Philadelphia
- Philly Playstreet Mantua, 3500 Mt. Vernon Ave., Mondays, 11 a.m.-1 p.m.
- Philly Playstreet Kingsessing, 1438 Vodges St., Tuesdays, 11 a.m.-1 p.m.
- Mifflin Square Park, 500 Wolf St., Wednesdays, 11 a.m.-1 p.m.
- Ford PAL Rec Center, 609 Snyder Ave., Thursdays, 11 a.m.-1 p.m.
For more info, email email@example.com.
Virtual and in-person art and literacy activities
- Somerset Academy Early Learning Center, Zoom, July 24, 11 a.m.
- Drueding Center, 413 Master St., July 26 & August 9, 5:30 p.m.
- Salvation Army Tabernacle, 3150 N Mascher St., July 22, 29 & August 5, 1:30 p.m.
For more info, email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 215-925-3453 x15.
Family exploration, reading and hands-on activities for families at Blaine, Gideon, Meade, WD Kelley, RR Wright, Pratt and Bache Martin centers/schools
- 640 Waterworks Dr., July 17, 24 & 31, 10 a.m.-12 p.m.
For more info, email Ellen.Schultz@phila.gov.
Outdoor art workshops for children and families who speak English, Khmer or Spanish
- Mifflin Square Park, 500 Wolf St., July 20, 10 a.m.-12 p.m.
- FDR Park, 1500 Pattison Ave., July 27 & August 3 & 8, 10 a.m.-12 p.m.
Half-day outdoor literacy and play camp for ages 3-5 from 19132 and 19121 zip codes
- 3500 Reservoir Dr., June 21–July 30, 8:45 am–noon
For more info, contact email@example.com.
WHYY: WHYY Summer Literacy and Engagement Project
Storytime, art and literacy activities for West Philadelphia children and families
- Mill Creek Recreation Center, 4700 Brown St.
- Tacony Creek Park, 559 E Olney Ave.
More details on dates and hours will be announced soon.
For more info, email firstname.lastname@example.org.