Moms' Recipe: Green Velvet Cupcakes
It's easy eating green on St. Patty's Day.
Eating your greens means something completely different around St. Patrick's Day. MomSpeaker Hillary Chybinski shares her thematically yummy Lucky Green Velvet Cupcakes, topped with a dollop of icing and every leprechaun's favorite sweet cereal.
St. Patrick's Day is not a big holiday around our house. Even though we have some Irish blood, it's just never been part of our family celebrations. But that lack of past celebration doesn't mean I don't want to have a little fun with the kids for St. Patrick's Day.
I figured why not make festive green cupcakes. I searched around for recipes, and determined that this was the easiest method for me:
Green Velvet Cupcake Ingredients
- 1 boxed White Cake Mix (or your favorite recipe for white cake)
- 2 oz. semi-sweet chocolate (chips, baking chocolate, etc.)
- Green food coloring (boxed, natural, etc.)
- Vanilla, Buttercream, Whipped Cream or Cream Cheese Icing (canned or your favorite recipe)
- Lucky Charms
Green Velvet Cupcake Instructions
- Make cake mix according to package directions or your favorite recipe for 24 cupcakes.
- Melt the semi-sweet chocolate and stir into cake batter.
- Drop in green food coloring until desired shade is achieved.
- Spoon mixture into prepared baking cups, bake according to package or recipe directions.
- Let cupcakes cool completely prior to icing.
- Ice your cupcakes with your favorite icing.
- Generously sprinkle your cupcakes with Lucky Charms, allowing them to fall playfully on to your plate or cake stand. Add some gold coins (chocolate works) for luck!
Hillary Chybinski is a crafty mom of two boys living the American Dream with her husband in the Philly burbs. This post was adapted from her blog, My Scraps.