Jul 1, 2013
How-To: Make Your Own Play Dough
Looking for a fun, easy activity to entertain your kids? Why not make your own play dough? With a few simple ingredients and a pot, you can make a ball of dough.
Here's what you need to make homemade play dough:
- 1 cup of all purpose flour
- 1/4 cup table salt
- 2 Tbsp cream of tartar
- 1 cup of water
- 1 Tbsp vegetable oil
Here's what you do to make homemade play dough:
1. In a medium saucepan, mix the flour, salt and cream of tartar.
2. Turn the stove to medium-high and add the water and vegetable oil to the mixture.
3. Stir constantly for about 5 minutes. The dough will start to form a ball in the pot.
4. Once the dough forms a ball, dump it onto a lightly floured surface – be careful, it's HOT.
5. If you want to, you can divide the dough and color it with food coloring.
6. After playing, put the dough in an airtight container or plastic bag to store. This is a great activity to teach kids to safely use the stove, too.
Hillary Chybinski is a crafty mom of two boys living the American Dream with her husband in the Philly burbs. This post was adapted from her blog, My Scraps.