When and where to pick & what to make with strawberries
mid to late May through mid to late June
Pick Your Own at Local Farms:
Click on a farm for address, Google map and contact information.
Hellerick’s Family Farm (Doylestown, PA) • Highland Orchards (West Chester, PA)
Linvilla Orchards (Media, PA) • Penn-Vermont Fruit Farm (Bedminster, PA)
Styer Orchard (Langhorne, PA) • Shady Brook Farm (Yardley, PA)
Fifer Orchards (Camden-Wyoming, DE)
Easy Strawberry Banana Smoothie
1 container (6 oz) Greek Fat Free strawberry yogurt
1 ½ cups skim milk
1 cup frozen unsweetened or fresh strawberries
1 medium banana, sliced (1 cup)
1.) Place ingredients in blender. Cover; blend on high speed about 30 seconds or until smooth.
2.) Pour into 2 glasses; serve immediately.
Strawberry-Rhubarb Stuffed French Toast
For the strawberry-rhubarb compote:
2 cups strawberries, hulled and sliced
2 cups rhubarb, chopped
½ cup granulated sugar
1 tsp. vanilla extract
For the French toast:
8 slices of challah or French bread
4 tablespoons butter, divided
3 large eggs
¾ cup whole milk
Whipped cream, for serving
1. In large saucepan, toss together strawberries, rhubarb, sugar and vanilla. Place over medium heat and cook, stirring frequently until mixture is thickened and reduced, about 12-15 minutes.
2. Spread 2 tablespoons of butter onto slices of bread. Spoon compote on 4 of slices, on top of butter.
3. In large skillet or fry pan, heat remaining butter over medium heat.
4. In wide shallow bowl or pan, whisk together eggs and milk. Dip compote-topped slices into egg mixture (but do not submerge it) and transfer to hot skillet. Dip remaining slices butter-side up into egg mixture and place butter-side down on top of compote-topped slices. Cook on each side 2-3 minutes until golden brown.
5. Serve immediately with whipped cream, additional strawberries and powdered sugar, if desired.