When and where to pick & what to make with pears
mid-August through late September
Pick Your Own at Local Farms:
Click on a farm for address, Google map and contact information.
Blueberry Lane Berry Farm (Frankford, DE)
Sparkling Apple-Pear Cider
2 large pears, cut to fit in juicer
4 large apples, cut to fit juicer
1 liter sparkling water
1. Add the pears and apples to a juicer.
2. Mix the fruit juice with sparkling water.
3. Store in an airtight bottle for up to 3 days; enjoy immediately for best results.
Pear Grilled Cheese
8 slices sourdough bread
1-2 medium pears, thinly sliced
16 oz. Havarti, Gouda or Brie
1. Heat a large skillet over medium heat and melt butter to coat.
2. Place four slices of bread onto skillet, and quickly layer pear slices and 2 oz. of cheese on each before adding top slice of bread to each sandwich.
3. Cook evenly on both sides until golden brown and the cheese is melted.
1 pear, cored and sliced
¼ cup oats
½ tsp. ground cinnamon
½ cup Greek yogurt
¾ cup milk
1 Tbs. honey
5 to 6 ice cubes
1. Put all ingredients in a blender; blend until smooth.
2. Serve immediately.