When and where to pick & what to make with cherries
mid June (sweet cherries), end of June (pie/sour cherries)
Pick Your Own at Local Farms:
Click on a farm for address, Google map and contact information.
Fruitwood Orchards Honey Farm (Monroeville, NJ)
Highland Orchards (West Chester, PA)
Milburn Orchards (Elkton, MD)
Mood’s Farm Market (Mullica Hill, NJ)
Vegan Cherry-Chocolate Cake
1½ cups whole-wheat pastry flour
⅓ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1 tsp. baking soda
½ tsp. salt
1 scant cup raw (turbinado) sugar
½ cup melted coconut oil or quality vegetable oil
1 cup coffee
1 tsp. vanilla extract
½ tsp. almond extract
2 Tbsp. cider vinegar
1¼ pound dark cherries (roughly enough cherries to cover the bottom of your cake pan)
1. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit.
2. Pit cherries.
3. Line the bottom of your pan with parchment paper.
4. Whisk together the flour, cocoa, soda, salt & sugar directly into the cake pan.
5. In a measuring cup, measure and mix together the oil, cold coffee, almond extract & vanilla extract.
6. Pour the liquid ingredients into the baking pan and mix the batter with a fork or a small whisk until it is smooth.
7. Add the vinegar and stir quickly. You’ll see pale swirls in the batter as the vinegar reacts with the baking soda. Stir just until the vinegar is evenly distributed throughout the batter.
8. Mix in your cherries with minimal stirring.
9. Bake for 35 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Set aside to cool.