When, where & how to pick blueberries and farm-recommended recipes
mid to late June through late August
Pick Your Own at Local Farms:
Click on a farm for address, Google map and contact information.
Conte's Farm (Tabernacle, NJ) • Fred + III (Pemberton, NJ)
Haines Berry Farm (Pemberton, NJ) • Johnson’s Corner Farm (Medford, NJ)
Mood’s Farm Market (Mullica Hill, NJ) • Piney Hollow Farm (Williamstown, NJ)
Reeves Berries (New Lisbon, NJ) • Terhune Orchards (Princeton, NJ)
Wells Blueberry Farm (Southampton, NJ)
Blueberries are known as a modern-day superfood. They also provide an overall nutritional boost crucial to growing kids. Antioxidant-rich berries aid bone development through high levels of manganese and vitamin K, which aid calcium-absorption. And as brain food, berries help to improve memory and general cognitive function as a result of anthocyanins, the antioxidants that give fruit its distinctive color. So when you go picking, remember: The deeper the color, the bigger the nutrient punch.
Farmers' Picking Tips:
• Look for blueberries that are fully blue and don’t have any purple or green.
• Once picked, leave the container open so moisture doesn’t form in the container.
Blueberry Green Salad
Submitted by Freddy Hill Farm
2 qt salad greens
1 cup fresh blueberries
1 Tbsp chopped fresh basil
1/2 tsp each salt and pepper
2 Tbsp red wine vinegar
1Tbsp olive oil
1-1/2 tsp sugar
1 tsp grated lemon peel
2 oz chunks blue cheese
2 Tbsp lemon juice
1. Toss together greens and blueberries.
2. Combine remaining ingredients except blue cheese and mix well. Pour desired amount of dressing over greens and toss.
3. Sprinkle blue cheese over top.