Jun 5, 2013
A Milestone Achieved
Today was a big day – Kindergarten orientation for my daughter Kaitlyn. While I was filling out her paperwork, I got a bit misty-eyed as she colored next to me. We’ve reached another milestone!
The five years have gone by fast and have been busy. Here’s a partial rundown of what I’ve been doing:
- Gave birth to two daughters
- Juggled conference calls and deadlines with breastfeedings
- Hired babysitters
- Took the girls to doctor and dentist appointments
- Attended networking meetings
Prospected for new clients
- Was accepted into American Society of Journalists and Authors (ASJA)
- Wrote a book for working moms
- Obtained certification from Women’s Business Enterprise National Council (WBENC)
- Applied to local charter schools for Kaitlyn
- Booked media interviews for authors
- Organized playdates and birthday parties
- Drove the girls to visit their grandparents
- Met with prospects, submitted proposals
- Organized month-long virtual tour for myself
- Arranged book signings
Today, I patted myself on the back for what I’ve accomplished so far. I love a flexible work schedule and am grateful to the clients who have given me business over the years.
Career moms face tough decisions: Work full or part time? Start a business or fold an existing one? Explore an entirely new field? It’s not always easy, but we put on a brave face and do what is best for our kids.
After the orientation and out of the school building, I put my sunglasses on and shed a few tears. Then I grabbed Kaitlyn’s hand and walked out of the schoolyard.
Erin Flynn Jay is a Philadelphia writer, public relations executive and mom of two girls. This post was adapted from her blog, Mastering the Mommy Track.