Jul 21, 2011
Weekend Planner: 7 Cool Ways to Beat the Heat
When the temperature rises, how do you and your kids stay cool? Do you splash in the pool or just relax in the A/C? Here are 7 ideas to beat the heat wave!
1. Watch a movie for $1. Regal Cinemas offers dollar tickets for family and kids' movies on Tuesday and Wednesday mornings.
2. Bowl for free. Sign up your kids for the program and they can bowl two free games every day, all summer.
3. Visit a waterpark. Skip the backyard slip-and-slide and go splashing at Sesame Place, Six Flags, Morey's Piers and other waterparks. Read our summer amusement park guide for the coolest rides and ways to save.
4. Enjoy a theater show. Local theaters present Disney favorites and other shows live on stage. See Alice in Wonderland in Sellersville, PA; Jack and the Beanstalk in Huntingdon Valley, PA; Pinocchio in Middletown, DE; and Winnie the Pooh in Pitman, NJ.
5. Head to the mall. Go shopping, strolling or enjoy one of these fun family events on Saturday: Smurf Mania! at the Comcast Center in Center City Phila. or a carnival at Oxford Valley Mall in Langhorne, PA.
6. Get crafty. Drop in to Lakeshore Learning in King of Prussia, PA or Cherry Hill, NJ on Saturday morning to make a "jazzy journal" for free.
7. Dance! Let loose at Baby Loves Disco, a family dance party tour coming to Loews Hotel in Center City Phila. on Saturday afternoon. Look for MetroKids while you're there to make a superhero mask craft!
Do you have an idea for keeping cool? Leave a comment below!
Stephanie Halinski is calendar editor of MetroKids.